10 Words Every Traveler Should Know
1. Numinous (adj.)Origin: EnglishDefinition: A powerful feeling of both fear & fascination, of being in awe and overwhelmed by what is before is you.
2. Peregrinate (v.)Origin: LatinDefinition: Travel or wander around from place to place.
3. Hodophile (adj.)Origin: GreekDefinition: "Lover of roads", one who loves to travel.
4. Sehnsucht (n.)Origin: GermanDefinition: A wistful longing and yearning in the heart for a far, familiar, non-earthy land once can identify as one's home.
5. Nemophilist (n.)Origin: GreekDefinition: A haunter of woods; one who loves the forest and its beauty and solitude.
6. Selcouth (adj.)Origin: EnglishDefinition: unfamiliar, rare, strange and yet marvelous.
7. Wayfarer (n.)Origin: EnglishDefinition: Someone who loves to travel, especially on foot.
8. Resfeber (n.)Origin: SwedishDefinition: The restless race of the traveller’s heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together.
9. Fernweh (n.)Origin: GermanDefinition: A strong desire to travel and visit far off places.
10. Dérive (n.)Origin: Latin/FrenchDefinition: A spontaneous journey where the traveller leaves their life behind for a time to let the spirit of the landscape and architecture attract and move them.